Thursday, May 10, 2012

Here's how it all started. In glorious detail.

Okay.... So here it goes.

My name is Allyson. I am a small town girl from Oklahoma, a place that I love more than any place else. Some people like roller coasters, or romantic movies, or really nice, expensive cars.... I, however, can think of absolutely nothing that makes my heart race more than rural, Western Oklahoma. Oh... and my silly farm boy, Lance. This summer, for the first time, I'm going with him on a seven month journey of international harvesting. In case I don't live through the next seven months to tell the stories when we get back, I'm telling every story as it comes.

Here's how it all started. In glorious detail.

My silly farm boy and I go back a long way. In fact we sat next to each other in third grade. My lovely mother was our teacher. She still teaches and has a God given talent for reaching and teaching students like no one else I know, however, she loved this job when my sister and I were younger solely (I think) so she could screen all the young boys that graced her classroom as prospects for my sister and I's husbands. Of course, for spite I would never even consider anyone she picked out for me with the exception of a pretty "serious" fifth grade boyfriend and now.... Lance.
He and I were good friends all through middle school and high school. Every time I "couldn't get out of my driveway because it was "too icy" or I "was so hungry I might die" or well... any excuse I had to need him... he would take care of me. Pick me up for school. Buy me breakfast. Drive me around in his truck for hours when I was having a bad day. He was always there. But in the summers, things were a little different: summer means harvest. I didn't see him all day, every day like when we were in school, but I usually saw him every evening.
You see, I love cooking and cleaning (I know. I'm a freak) like he loves harvesting. So he would call me at the end of almost every day to say that he would be home in an hour and ask me what I was cooking for supper and couple times a week he would take me out to eat with him to give me break from cooking. It was this summer that my entire family started affectionately calling him my husband.
Fast forward a few years. We are both now in college and he has moved up from just harvesting around our area to starting in Texas and ending in South Dakota. He has asked me several years in a row to go with him and cook for his crew and do their laundry when they are in the field. I've never been able to until this summer. Back in October he asked me again and I realized I would be graduating in May, and I really couldn't stand the idea of being a grown up right out of college. So I said yes. Duh.
Shortly after all of this was decided, we started spending more time with each other and after 8 loooooong years he finally kissed me. So now my silly farm boy is actually MY silly farm boy and this is the story of our first real summer "together."

3 comments:

  1. This is going to keep me motivated...love you Ally...be careful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going to keep me motivated...love you Ally...be careful...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is going to keep me motivated...love you Ally...be careful...

    ReplyDelete