Wednesday, July 18, 2012

I felt like those rights had been taken from me...




Allyson



Allyson

A person that is always smiling, no matter how hard of a time they are going through. A person who can brighten up a room by just walking in to it, and enchant a room by their smile. A person that can make you stop in your tracks as they stare at you, their eyes so magical from just a random stare. A person that likes kit kats and roses. A person that when you get to talk to them you get butterflies floating around. Someone that is so Attractive words can not describe them. A person that dislikes sexy but loves pretty. Someone that asks if they look alright but you already know they are the prettiest person in the world.


That is an exact copy of my UrbanDictionary.com'd name. However, I don't really like roses; I think that they are a little cliche. And I don't think that there is anyone on Earth that actually believes all that other crap. Except for maybe Lance, and if he does.... He would NEVER say it out loud. 

*Feel free to Urban Dictionary your name. However, it is not exactly a clean website. The purpose of the website? To accurately define slang words you or your kids hear WITHOUT googling them because that could get dangerous. Aside from all that it is a fun (and usually complimentary) thing to find out what your name says about you. 


Okay... so the real me? I have the capability of being sweet. (Disregarding the fact that I was a devil child...maybe I will tell you a story about that one day.) I try to be healthy...but I LOVE many foods that are bad for me. (Like Kit-Kats) I can work hard. I like to read books. I tend to be a little on the compulsive side. I'm soft spoken with most people EXCEPT for family. I really hate talking on the phone to people I don't know really well. But.. whenever someone I care about is mistreated or I think that I am being wronged.. I get... a little... wwwwiry. 

Wiry: Tendency for me to gather all of my confrontational bones and do something about it. My voice might become a little louder than necessary. The pitch I speak in might elevate a little. And I usually don't stop this behavior until I get my way. Usually, the situation is rectified. 

Yesterday. I got a little wiry. 

You see... I'm in a hotel. I've been in ever changing hotels since May 12th. I am also a little compulsive.  Part of staying in a hotel is paying for it, and paying for #1 A safe place to sleep at night and #2 To be taken care of: offered toiletries, a clean room, and a made bed with clean sheets. I felt like those rights had been taken from me.... here's how it went. 

1. Late one night, a few nights ago now, I hear shouting outside my door. Now, keep in mind that I have been a Resident Assistance, RA, at a girls' dorm for two years now and I KNOW the difference between happy yelling, sad yelling, mad yelling, and scary yelling. This shouting that I heard... it was scary yelling. It's not my business, so I decide that it was some kind of domestic dispute, I lock my door, and I tell Jagger that he isn't allowed to go outside again until the light of the morning. I fall asleep. 

A few days later, talking to Lance, I find out that it was definitely scary yelling. Two people had gotten in a fight, threats were made, weapons were present, and cops were called. Now, nothing major happened, but I still felt a little violated in the sense that I am paying for safety, and while I have a lock on my door, the hotel itself was not safe for me that night. 

2. Then, after running errands with Lance for most of the day, (Which is a coveted day for me... full of billing farmers, straightening things out, and getting ready to move to our next location... because I get to spend several hours in a row with Lance... and that almost never happens. To be honest, I was as worried as the next person... dating your boss, working for your boyfriend, traveling with your significant other for seven months... however you put it, it sounds kind of tricky. Rest your minds, so far, it is working quite well. The only problem is that I actually don't get to see him as often or as long as I'd like to.) we came back to my room to find it uncleaned. 

Now this wouldn't normally be a big deal.... but... Given my background includes a couple years of cleaning as a hotel maid when I was in high school... The last two days, I was in my room when the maids came by and in order to give them a break and to not make them feel awkward for being in the room while they cleaned it, I opted to skip the cleaning of my room in favor of new towels and them taking my trash with them. So, when I came back to my uncleaned room that I had been away from all day, giving them PLENTY of time to clean it while I was out, I was a little perturbed. 

BUT... I didn't say anything about it. I did something worse... I stewed on it. 

I played solitaire on my phone. I made huffy breaths. The longer I sat there the more mad I got. 

Then. I went up to the front desk to talk to the manager. I politely asked, yes. politely., why my room had not been cleaned that day. She stared at me blankly. She looked at the maids. She rustled through some papers. FINALLLY... she tried to talk. 

What she said? Something about my credit card and company policy... and something about how it is all Chris' fault. 

THEN. I was mad. My credit card is my business. Not hers. If she has concern for me paying my bill she should have talked to me. NOT "gotten my attention" for withholding services that I have already paid for. Company policy? Apparently it says that extended stay guests must pay weekly. That would have been fine, except for she had asked yesterday when I would be paying for my stay and I responded that I would pay at the end of my time there. Did she have a problem with it? Not at all. It's all Chris' fault? He might have been a poor manager. I happened to have liked him when he was here, but aside from that... my room not getting cleaned today is not Chris' fault. He isn't here. He no longer works here, it doesn't matter that he is no longer answering his phone to deal with the business of his former job. And SHE had been the manager for several days now. 

*I know that stepping into a new management position is hard. I know that there will be strings laid down and the new person not only has to find them and pick them up, but then also figure out what to do with them. I know that is hard. I know because I have been a stand in manager before for something that I knew little about. (I was a stand in manager for a YMCA pool in Illinois after having no experience whatsoever in being a lifeguard other than what I learned on YouTube and my lifeguarding class a few weeks before.)

When I pointed all this out to her she said that she didn't want to talk business on a "Sunday" and I "pay for privacy" so she didn't want to come around knocking on doors and disturbing people about "business." She, however, was "sticking her neck out for all of our group staying at the hotel" by "overlooking the company policy" and not making us pay her "on the spot."

Then... I got really mad.

You see, she had violated "privacy" for knocking on my door and of all days... it was a Sunday! Just the day before. When she knocked, she talked business. She wanted to know how much longer we planned on staying there so she could book our room for the next guest. And, if she was really "sticking her neck out for me" and "assuming that I am good for my word and my payment" WHY WAS SHE WITHHOLDING SERVICES?? Her answer? She "had to get our attention somehow." As if six of us aren't walking around this hotel at all hours of the day and night running errands, letting my dog out, grabbing meals, and everything else we do. It must have been impossible for her to find any of us and talk to us about it.

The one thing that makes me the most mad about all this is that the manager was incapable of owning her actions and in the end, a few nights of my room was promised to not be charged, she maintained that it was "all Chris' fault."

No one likes humble pie...but we all have to eat it. Even you new manager at Knights Inn.








But Hey! On the bright side... at this hotel I can have ALL THE ALIENS I WANT! 

No comments:

Post a Comment